General Travel websites (Global)
- Trip Advisor This website includes information about hotels and flights including user submitted reviews and links to pricing information.
- MyTravelGuide This website includes user submitted reviews and photographs for hotels, restaurants, and attractions.
- World Travel Guide This website includes helpful information including guides (airports, attractions, tours), weather information, a world clock, and travel booking information.
- New York Times Travel section This section includes general information, city guides, and other helpful travel advice.
- Travel.org This directory includes links to travel websites organized by region. The quality of links varies, but there are enough good links to make this a good starting place.
- Conciege.com A general travel website loaded with information including maps, fact sheets, and travel ideas.
Country and Region specific websites
- Visit Britain This website includes a lot of practical information about visiting Britain and useful search features.
- Visit Scotland This Official site of Scotland's National Tourist Board is heavily focused on accommodations and major events. (My own travel tip for Scotland: Visit Anstruther.)
- World Health Organization The WHO includes information about health concerns in various countries and regions.
- City Search Guides and yellow pages for major cities in the US and Australia along with Toronto and Copenhagen
- Eurail Official Site Eurail is a cooperation of 27 European Railway companies.
- JGuide: Stanford guide to Japan information resources
- Guide to Australia This website is compiled by Charles Sturt University, Australia.
- The Tourism New Zealand site This website includes extensive information about New Zealand including a fact sheet, transportation to and within New Zealand, driving routes and maps, activities, an events calendar, and ciltural information. The site map at the bottom is helpful.
- Hitchhiking Vietnam: Letters from the Trail This companion website to the PBS (Public Broadcasting Corporation in the US) special on a woman's journey in Vietnam has some interesting information about Vietnam and helpful tips for visitors
- The Cook Islands This website has extensive information about the Cook Islands
- German Tourism This website is maintained by the German National Tourist Board.
- Road Trip USA A website that includes routes for road trips and less well-known sites.
- ItalyGuides.it Guides and information about several cities in Italy. (in English, Italiano, and Francais)
Websites by publishers of travel materials and reliable ordering websites
- Trip Buzz
- Frommer's Frommer's has a limited amount of information available for free including (as of 05/25/07) money and currency information, packing tips, and lists of hotels with links, when available, to the hotel's website.
- Let's Go The Let's Go website (and publications) are especially useful for those traveling solo and/or on a tight budget. The website includes articles, destination specific information, forums, blogs by their researchers, booking resources, and links to other travel resources.
- Lonely Planet This site includes brief information about numerous countries and along with classifieds and accommodation and booking services.
- Time Out Despite the distracting layout and ads the official site for the Time Out publications has some good information
- Rough Guides The official site for the Rough Guides publications includes a lot of freely available information
Additional Travel Resources
- CIA World Factbook Statistics including geography, government, and economy
- Universal Travel List You can create a customized suggested packing list based on trip dates, temperature, gender, accommodations, transportation, activities, and other preferences
Disclaimer: This information is provided as is and I make no claims about its accuracy. All the commercial websites listed are ones I have used, friends have used, or which I found in travel books (ie Frommer's, Let's Go, etc), but I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information. These links are provided solely to help you with your own research. It is always a good idea to use the most current information available and to confirm all reservations.