Sometimes you need information about a new topic. Below is a list of resources that include material on a variety of topics.
Portals and Directories (expert evaluated)
The websites included on these portals have been evaluated by professionals in information and library science and/or in the specific subject areas.
- Internet Public Library Although this website has more dead links than LII it still has a huge collection of well-organized useful links on a variety of subjects.
- Virtual Learning Resource Center This extensive portal run by librarian Dr. Michael Bell searches for sites included in several respected portals and directories.
- INFOMINE: Scholarly Resource Collections A search engine and directory for scholarly information resources.
Portals and Directory (editor evaluated)
The websites included have been evaluated by a person (versus found using "bots"), but the qualifications for the evaluators's are not given.
Digital Libraries and Book, Journal, and Newspaper related material
- Digital Library Collections by Subject: Literature: General Created by the British Columbia Digital Library this listing includes a variety of digital texts available online
- Acqweb's Directory of Book Reviews This is an extensive collection of links to book reviews that can be found online. The website
- The Online Book Page Created and maintained by librarian John Mark Ockerbloom
- International News Archives Links to news archives except for the United States and Canada with information about prices and dates
- United States News Archives Links to news archives in the United States with information about prices and dates
- Canadian News Archives Links to Canadian news archives with information about prices and dates
Digital Resources from Physical Libaries
- Directory of Special Collects of Research Value in Canadian Libraries available in English and Francais
Homework Help and Resource Guides
Although many of these websites are primarily intended for children and/or teenagers they also have information and lists of links that are helpful for adults.
- Homework Help from the New York Public Libraries This website includes short definions and/or summaries, lists of links to websites, and resources available through the New York Public Library. Some NYPL resources are only available to those with a NYPL card.
- Google This well known search engine is one of the best for finding a quantity of resources about just about any subject. The advanced search function is particularly helpful.
- Yahoo Another well-known search engine known for its quantity of resources.
General Searching Help
- Finding Data on the Internet by Robert Niles